Many times you write to us asking for help to find your lost cat. We usually try to respond to all messages of this type asking that you send us a poster with the cat’s photo, description and contact information, to be able to spread it through our social networks.
And in these messages, we also try to give some tips to help find the lost cat. In this post, we will try to collect the most interesting.
It is essential that at all times you act quickly and with ahead, and that you try to put yourself a little in the cat’s skin to think like him.
Steps to follow to find the lost cat
1st) Search at home
First of all, and although it seems very obvious, it is to look inside the house. Sometimes cats are specialists in hiding entirely in any corner, so this option should be ruled out.
In our case, when we call Kato and Conxa, and they don’t come, we use some prizes to get their attention. In fact, with touching the prize wrap several times they have been meowing and, if they don’t, they are locked in a room, it doesn’t fail.
If you have any food that you like very much, you can try it, or by opening your wet meal, for example.
2nd) Check the nearest exterior
If the cat does not have any access to the outside, it is possible that it could have escaped through an open door or that there is a window or balcony not adequately protected. We take this opportunity to insist on the importance of protecting these spaces well to avoid accidents.
If the cat has access to the outside regularly, it will be necessary to review the sites where it is usually placed. The search does not have to be very extensive, but rather thorough, since as we have said they are experts in hiding in recesses.
If the cat does not usually have access to the outside, it would be necessary to see if it has fallen nearby and if it has been hidden near our house (the portal, a car, a tree, etc.). A cat that has fallen does not usually run, because it is generally scared, maybe hurt … So most likely it is close.
3rd) Extend the search
If we have not found the above, then it would be advisable to start a broader search and ask for help.
To perform it, we advise you to:
- If the cat has a microchip, go to the nearest veterinarian or inform the authorities and the official veterinary school of the area. At the moment that someone finds and identifies it, they will contact you through the data you provide when registering that microchip.
- Notify protectors, shelters, veterinarians, local police, and any entity that can help in the search. It is possible that they can give you advice on how to find it, in addition to being usually the first to receive notices of found cats.
- Make posters to paste around the nearby areas, distribute between neighbors and shops, etc. Use a complete picture that looks good on the cat, a description of both how it is physically and its character (for example, if the cat is scared and does not get caught, you must warn about it so that when they see it try to grab it). Put your contact information (you can put a couple of phones in case one is not always operational) and, if you prefer, make the typical fringed sign at the end that allows you to start them so that people take the phone just in case.
- Offer a reward to those who find it. This is voluntary, but many times, it is a claim for people to be more aware and willing to “collaborate.”
- Do search patrols, especially at night. You can ask neighbors and acquaintances to help you tour nearby sites such as parks, vacations, etc.
4th) Use social networks and local media
In addition to all of the above, an excellent way to make known that a cat is lost is to use local media, putting an ad in the newspaper or local TV.
A potent tool to spread the ad quickly is to use social networks (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) as well as share it with WhatsApp contacts.
To make it easier for people to share it, make an ad similar to that of the posters, with the photo and the description of the cat, the contact details, the place where it was lost, etc.
Internet and especially social networks can also be useful for you to consult the pages of protectors, animalists, etc.and so that you ask them for collaboration when it comes to spreading your ad.
As we said at the beginning of this post, we usually publish these types of requests and also share those published by other pages.
5th) Keep calm and make your sandbox and your food available
In the whole process, it is essential to remain calm, we already know that it is harsh and painful, but only with common sense can we find our cat.
While the search remains active, we can go with prizes, food, etc. to get the attention of the lost cat. Another impressive trick is to put your sand tray at the entrance, your diet, etc. These types of elements help the cat recognize its smell and direct it to its home.